Sales Transfers

Black Widow Arms as Transfer Agent

Transfers for Virginia Residents:

Standard Rifles and Pistol Transfers

Price: $35.00

Machine Gun Transfers


Importation Service Fee


Any Other Class 3 Item


* We will provide all necessary paperwork for this process.


Black Widow FFL

Black Widow Arms is a Class 3 dealer licensed to handle sales of NFA items to government and law enforcement agencies, but also process the paperwork for private sales of transferable NFA items into and out of Virginia.

If you are buying an NFA item from an out of state dealer, you will pay them for the item. You will notify the out of state dealer that your local dealer receiving your NFA item will be Black Widow Arms in Waynesboro, Virginia. Give us the contact information of the out of state dealer and we will handle the necessary arrangements of your transfer. The out of state dealer will file an ATF Form 3 to transfer the item to us. We then prepare the necessary paperwork for the final transfer to you. You will need to arrange to be fingerprinted.

The fingerprinting must be completed and signed by a Law Enforcement agency. The completed paperwork is then returned to us for review along with two checks or money orders. One made out to the Department of the Treasury for $200.00 (the transfer tax). The other made out to Black Widow Arms LLC for our transfer agent fee. We charge $100 for machine gun transfers and $80 for all other NFA items. We will then mail your completed paperwork to the NFA Branch of ATF.

The $200.00 is known as a "transfer tax" because it must be paid whenever ownership of the NFA item is "transferred" (in this case, the dealer to the prospective purchaser). As long as ownership remains with the same person, the tax need not be paid again. Only if the owner sells it will a new transfer tax need to be paid by the NEW owner. An owner may “will” his NFA firearm to a lawful heir with no tax incurred.

As an alternative, you can establish either a Trust or a Corporation and transfer your NFA items to that entity. The transfer still must go through a Class 3 dealer in your state, and still requires payment of the $200 transfer tax.

Once the paperwork is submitted, it normally takes about 120 days to receive the approved, stamped paperwork back from the NFA Branch. It is only upon the return of the approved paperwork that we can allow you to take possession of your NFA firearm or device. A copy of the approved paperwork must accompany the NFA firearm at all times and the original should be stored in a safe place.

The above procedure is more of a hassle to go through than purchasing a standard firearm or accessory and without a doubt, more expensive. In our opinion, it’s worth it! Black Widow Arms will answer all your questions and guide you down the path to ownership of your New NFA item.